The Telegrah recently reported: UN Human Rights chief Navi Pillay has called for an "immediate investigation" into the circumstances surrounding the death of Trayvon Martin, the unarmed black teen who was shot dead by a volunteer neighbourhood watchman in Florida.
Ms Pillay made the comments about the controversial case at a press conference in Barbados, as she wrapped up a three-day visit to the Caribbean island nation.
"As High Commissioner for Human Rights, I call for an immediate investigation," she said. "Justice must be done for the victim. It's not just this individual case. It calls into question the delivery of justice in all situations like this."
The Purpose of the Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights:
1. Promotes universal enjoyment of all human rights by giving practical effect to the will and resolve of the world community as expressed by the United Nations;
2. Plays the leading role on human rights issues and emphasizes the importance of human rights at the international and national levels;
3. Promotes international cooperation for human rights;
4. Stimulates and coordinates action for human rights throughout the United Nations system;
5. Promotes universal ratification and implementation of international standards;
6. Assists in the development of new norms;
7. Supports human rights organs and treaty monitoring bodies;
8. Responds to serious violations of human rights;
9. Undertakes preventive human rights action;
10. Promotes the establishment of national human rights infrastructures;
11. Undertakes human rights field activities and operations;
12. Provides education, information advisory services and technical assistance in the field of human rights.
Food for thought: “Injustice anywhere, is a threat to justice everywhere.” I applaud UN Human Rights chief Navi Pillay for her efforts in seeking justice for Trayvon!!