If you are military veteran with a service-related disability you may qualify for over $3,100 in monthly benefits. These benefits are paid to veterans who have injuries or diseases that happened while on active duty, or were made worse by active military service. It is also paid to certain veterans disabled from VA health care. These benefits are tax-free.
You may be eligible for Disability Compensation if you have a service-related disability and you were discharged under other than dishonorable conditions.
VA Disability Compensation Pays:
The amount of basic benefit paid ranges from $123 to over $3,100 per month, depending on your level of disability and number of dependents.
•you have very severe disabilities or loss of limb(s)
•you have a spouse, child(ren), or dependent parent(s)
•you have a seriously disabled spouse
VA Disability Compensation Application Process:
You can apply by filling out VA Form 21-526, Veterans Application for Compensation or Pension. If you have any of the following material, attach it to your application:
• Dependency records (marriage & children's birth certificates)
• Medical evidence (doctor & hospital reports)
You can also apply on line through the VONAPP website.
For More Information Call Toll-Free 1-800-827-1000.
VA Travel Reimbursement
Reimbursement for mileage or public transportation may be paid to the following:
1. Veterans with service-connected disabilities rated at 30% or more;
2. Veterans traveling for treatment of a service-connected condition;
3. Veterans receiving a VA pension;
4. Veterans traveling for scheduled compensation or pension examinations;
5. Veterans whose income does not exceed the maximum VA pension rate;
Food for thought:
Service members who are still serving on active duty, you have up to 1 year after your military discharge to file your VA medical compensation claim. Ensure all your service connected disabilities are well documented in your medical record prior to your discharge.
You can also visit the following link to view how the VA determines your compensation rating.